Daniel Hardcastle, more commonly known as Nerdcubed (stylised as Nerd³) is a British YouTuber, known for his Nerd³ Plays series and originally, his popular Minecraft webcomic.
In January 2013, he began a partnership with Martyn Littlewood of the Yogscast, for a Minecraft series, titled InTheLittleCubed (a play-on-words of both of their in-game names), in which they go on an adventure with set challenges in-mind. This later became a challenge series called Little Vs Cubed, where the two would compete against (or, in the case of some games such as PAYDAY 2, co-operate with) each other throughout a number of different games. Even later, however, this changed yet again to a series called Little And Cubed. This series was originally based upon Martyn and Dan either working with or competing against each other in a series of activities and challenges which Dan had created in the GTA Online map creator. However, while waiting for GTA V to be released on PC, they did other challenges (also usually created by Dan) on games such as Just Cause 2 and Skate 3. They have done odd, non-continuous plays of games, such as the 2 episodes of Clandestine and Toybox Turbos.
Dan started by making a popular Minecraft comic utilising his editing and narrative skill and Minecraft. After this he began doing vlogs on his YouTube Channel, OfficialNerdCubed, named after his comic and website. He then started with his Minecraft series in which he built structures such as the "HMS HMS", a massive turtle city (Harold) and a giant TARDIS from the British sci-fi series "Doctor Who", complete with a control room, library and quidditch pitch. Fans built a very large pixel art drawing of his own face in the game, which was featured on the very last episode of his series where he showed the fan-server where the map was now hosted. He abandoned this (though officially ending it on the 25th of December 2012) and forgot a fair bit about Minecraft as indicated in InTheLittleCubed. He began making edited Let's Play...s (later simply called Plays...) on the side as a break from the Minecraft videos on his channel. This started with Nerd³'s Let's Play Indie Games - Epic Inventor (although in the intro to this video he calls it his 2nd Let's Play Indie Games, the 'real' first episode seems to be privatized)
- The following table shows the games and series' Daniel Hardcastle has played or participated in.
- "DIE DIE DIE"
- "RUN RUN RUN"
- "Rule number one: Don't blow up the shit!"
- "It's all gone a bit Pete Tong!"
- "Everybody who goes skiing comes back dead. That’s real. That’s science."
- "I call shenanigans!"
- "It’ll be just like charging your phone, except I’ll be doing it with a Boeing and several million volts. It’ll be fine."
- "Oooooooohhhhhhh twitchy leg, oooooooooohhhhhhh twitchy leg"
- "YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB!"
- "ONE JOB!"
- "OH FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!"
- "Are you ready for this jelly?"
- Dan called his fans the "Procrastinators".
- Dan's favourite colour was "greenish purple", now it's "purplish green".
- In his Skyrim video Dan stated that he has arachnophobia.
- Dan doesn't care for most first person shooters, with exceptions for Titanfall and Black.
- Dan has a passionate hatred for always-online DRM and he refuses to play games that feature them.
- He also hates any games with micro-transactions and he will generally be very sad/angry if he finds out a game has any kind of micro-transactions.
- Dan frequently gets into fights with Total Justice Warriors, racists, homophobes and fanboys over twitter.
- Karen Gillan was Dan's number one celebrity crush until she was caught smoking on the set of Doctor Who.
- Matt Smith is Dan's favourite Doctor from Doctor Who.
- Volume One of Dan's popular Minecraft web-comic can be found here.
- One time a fan showed up at Dan's door and asked for a picture. Dan said that the fan was lucky that his roommate, Wot answered the door and not him as he would have called the police. He then made a video saying that tracking people down and breaking into their apartment complex was a bad thing.
- Dan has an amazing ability to find bugs and glitches in any game.
- He will never accept a sponsorship (ever) and he also won't take any kind of deal involving money with a developer or producer. This is because he doesn't trust himself to give a fair review if his income is based on what he says (bad or good).
- He is a self-proclaimed "Hartosexual" for his love of Hannah Hart's "My Drunk Kitchen", which is one of his major inspirations.
- He has made two videos with Hannah Hart to announce the start of her Europe tour - one was a videos of the two playing with a Kinect posted on Hannah's channel, while the other was a parody of "My Drunk Kitchen" called "My Nerd Kitchen", which was posted on Dan's IRL channel.
- Dan's father has a YouTube channel called OfficialDadCubed.
- Dan said on his Cleverbot video, when he put in who is your favourite YouTube lets player? "If you say TotalBiscuit, I'll..." This is a playful nod at TotalBiscuit, whom Dan has said is one of the three people he listens to, as he was hoping Cleverbot would say his name instead.
- He was born in 1989.
- Dan is not a member of the Yogscast but does have ongoing series with Martyn.
- Martyn created a mii version of Dan for his Tomodachi Life playthrough.
- In February 2014, Dan left his home in England to be closer with his girlfriend. It is highly speculated to be in Canada but the subject is commonly joked upon by his fans, such as saying he moved to Mars or Finland.
- Dan has a similar sickness to KaeyiDream in which he can become very tired and become ill very quickly due to the sickness basically making his immune system useless.
- As revealed in his GTA V test live stream, He attended Leicester University, he dropped and gave himself 3 years to "make it on the internet".
- Dan has met and made a video with Steven Moffat, the current Head Writer and Executive Producer for BBC's Doctor Who and Sherlock.
- Dan's favourite games of all time include GTA 5, Just Cause 2, Portal, Portal 2 and Shadow of the Colossus with his favourite Simulator being Euro Truck Simulator 2.
- Dan is a very big fan of LEGO and has a whole channel dedicated to it.
- Dan is a big fan of both BBC's Sherlock and Doctor Who.
- Dan's favorite foods are Pasta and Pizza.
- Dan is a self-proclaimed lazy person.
- Dan hates warm places and heat in general.
- Dan taught himself to program, and has opened his own game studio.
- His very first game, How To Snooker, was a Snooker simulation game and was, according to Dan, more of a test to see if he could actually make a playable game that people would enjoy.
- He then released Systems Nominal, a game in which the player simply has to press the buttons that turn red on the screen in accordance to their keyboard.
- Dan's "favorite" movie of all time is Back to the Future..
- Dan own 500+ games on Steam alone, he also has a category called "The Bin" in which he places shitty games, presumably mostly filled with bad simulators.
- Dan will never reveal who his girlfriend is as stated in his Fuel Road-Trip video.
- During his Dessert Bus Marathon he told us for the first time that he goes under a pseudonym. On later occasions he has confirmed this to be true.
- Dan used to work at a children's camp every summer.
- Dan currently employs 6 people; himself as a content creator, his dad as another content creator, Matt (aka. Mattophobia) as his Community Manager, Tracey as his business manager, Wot as his 'movie person' (What Wot does exactly is currently unknown) and Rebecca as his game artist and co-programmer. All of whom can be seen on the NerdCubed Sub-Reddit banner.
- Dan met his current business manager, Tracey, in University.
- Dan met both Martyn and his current community manager Mattophobia at Eurogamer 2012, and can both be seen in a Eurogamer video.
- Dan met Wot at High School.
- Dan was on the Co-Optional Podcast and was on the first episode of 2015 (6/1/15).
- Dan has a Twitch podcast called Podcats, which was named after a spelling mistake by Dan.
- Dan is allergic to cocoa.
- Dan loves cheese.
- The worst games that Dan has ever played is Airport Simulator 2013
- During the PC Gamer E3 Conference of 2015, Dan got his fans to the stream chat with "#HaveAWank" and eventually got it trending worldwide on twitter. This hashtag then started getting out of control, and spread to changing wikipedia pages and got acknowledged by the creator of Thomas Was Alone (and a good friend of Dan's), Mike Bithell, on his twitter.
- This incident later repeated itself, now with the #PlaneFromATrain during his 2015 reboot stream.
- Due to Dan's love of the Just Cause games, the creators of the game, Avalanche Studios, gave him an early build of the Just Cause game, making him the first person to play Just Cause 3 on YouTube.
- On October 31st 2015, Dan rebooted his channel for a fourth time in the channel's history. The main change that came along with this reboot was the abandonment of his famous catchphrase; "Hello Procrastinators!", which he used from the near beginning of his channel right up till its abandonment.
- During his fourth channel reboot, Dan also launched his own Patreon page to primarily fund his games development, along with his YouTube video creation. He is currently receiving just over $8,000 a month from 1612 patrons, averaging at around $4 a month per person.